Questions to ask at a University Open Day
Jul 29, 2017, by Jemma
We’ve compiled a bunch of questions you might want to ask when you’re deciding what university to go to. You don’t have to ask them all, pick and choose the ones that are important to you.
What to ask the academics?
- How is your course different to the ones offered at xxx?
- How is the course divided between theory and practical work?
- How many contact hours with the teaching staff will I have each week?
- How many hours of lectures/seminars will I have per week?
- How many students are in each tutor group?
What to ask students?
- What are the best and worst things about uni in your opinion?
- How have you found the course so far – what are the teaching / facilities / support / field trips like?
- Are some halls of residence better or worse than others?
- What’s the town / city like?
What to ask the finance team?
- How much are the tuition fees?
- Can you tell me about about other fees and costs in addition to tuition fees?
- What bursaries, scholarships or fee waivers are there and how do you apply?
- Are there separate deadlines for admission and scholarship applications?
- What opportunities are there for on-campus employment?
- How do the costs actually break down? How much money will you need to survive?
- To what extent will you need / be able to find part-time work?
What to ask the student accommodation team?
- Do you have student accommodation?
- What does it cost – and what’s included in that cost?
- Will you guarantee me a place in student halls in my first year?
- Would a place still be guaranteed if you made the uni your insurance choice?
- What accommodation is available off-campus?
- Will you have to move in and out each term?
- What are the pros and cons of catered versus self-catered?
- How big are the rooms – are some bigger than others?
- How quiet are they?
- How secure is it?
- Do most students stay on campus at weekends?
- What happens in years two and three?
- How far will you have to travel to get into uni and around town?
- Can I park my car?
What to ask the admissions team?
- What kinds of qualifications do international students who are admitted to your school have?
- What grades do you need – and can you still get a place if you don't quite get the grades?
- Which qualifications and combinations of qualifications do you accept / prefer?
- If they use the Ucas tariff, will they count all your qualifications?
- Is it worth applying for more than one course?
- How do they select which candidates to make offers to?
- What do they look for in your application and personal statement?
- Can they recommend any reading or activities to inform your personal statement?
- Do they hold interviews or is selection based on your UCAS application?
- How do they feel about gap years and deferred entry applications?
- Is it an advantage to get your application in early?
What to ask the careers team?
- What are some examples of work placements held by students studying here?
- How will your programme in [blank] help me achieve my career goals?
- What career services are available for students?